Coalition Hub for Advancing Redistricting & Grassroots Engagement: Providing grassroots organizers the tools and information they need to engage in the redistricting process and fight for fair representation for marginalized communities.
Trainings and Events
- We are excited to announce a new training series on racially polarized voting! On Tuesday, November 16th from 1:00-2:00 pm EST, we will host the first of three trainings on Racially Polarized Voting (RPV). We have partnered with Fred McBride of the Lawyers Committee to offer this first training, which focuses on Section 2 of the Voting Rights Act and other legally significant cases that are important for understanding the motivation and standards for RPV analyses. Fred McBride is the Redistricting and Voting Rights Policy Specialist at the Lawyers Committee and has been active in voting rights for nearly 20 years. He is an expert in drawing and evaluating redistricting plans and performing racially polarized voting analysis. This first training is great for folks who may not know much about the Voting Rights Act or racially polarized voting. It's also an opportunity to learn directly from an expert active in the field. Register for the first training here. More details regarding the second and third training - scheduled for November 30th and December 7th at 1 pm EST, respectively - will be forthcoming. Or sign up for the RDH newsletter to be notified!
Resources and Announcements
- New York Unity Coalition Announces NYS Assembly & Senate Unity Maps! Learn more here.
National: They had a plan to unrig US elections. Things are not going as expected. The Guardian. November 5, 2021.
Iowa: Iowa governor signs state’s redistricting plan into law. Associated Press. November 5, 2021.
Michigan: How Michigan Republicans are trying to sway state's independent redistricting process. NBC News. November 4, 2021.
- North Carolina sued over newly passed maps favoring GOP. Associated Press. November 5, 2021.
- Members of the public say their testimony was distorted in Senate redistricting process. NC Policy Watch. November 4, 2021.
- 3 Ohio officials detail failed map negotiations to court. Associated Press. November 5, 2021.
- Ohio Republicans swing for fences in redistricting proposals. The Hill. November 5, 2021.
South Carolina: SC House to release its redistricting maps; Senate’s are out. Associated Press. November 7, 2021.
- Advocacy groups speak out as redistricting heads to Virginia Supreme Court. WDBJ. November 5, 2021.
- Six candidates recommended as 'special masters' to help justices with Virginia redistricting. Richmond Times-Dispatch. November 5, 2021.
Call for submissions
- Have any information, resources, trainings, or opportunities you want to share in this newsletter? Just fill out this form! Note that content must be submitted by noon ET on Monday in order to be sent out in the Monday newsletter, and that publication of your content in this newsletter is subject to the moderator’s approval.