Coalition Hub for Advancing Redistricting & Grassroots Engagement: Providing grassroots organizers the tools and information they need to engage in the redistricting process and fight for fair representation for marginalized communities.
Trainings and Events
- Join the Redistricting Data Hub for a racially polarized voting (RPV) training on Tuesday, November 16 at 1-2pm EST. This is the first of three planned RPV trainings. We are partnering with Fred McBride of the Lawyers Committee to offer this first training with background information about Racially Polarized Voting and legally significant cases. Fred McBride is the Redistricting and Voting Rights Policy Specialist at the Lawyers Committee and has been active in voting rights for nearly 20 years. He is an expert in drawing and evaluating redistricting plans and performing racially polarized voting analysis. This first training in the series is great for folks who may not know much about the Voting Rights Act or racially polarized voting and to learn directly from an expert active in the field. Register here.
- Join the Redistricting Data Hub on November 18 at 1:00pm EST for a training on District Builder! You will learn how to analyze proposed redistricting maps and understand District Builder's different analytical tools. Register here.
Resources and Announcements
- Gov. Larry Hogan has called a special session of the Maryland General Assembly beginning on December 6 at 10:00 am ET to draw the state’s U.S. House districts. Learn more here.
- GOP sees advantage as redistricting hits half-way point. The Hill. November 14, 2021.
- Asian Americans push for representation via redistricting. Associated Press. November 8, 2021.
Colorado: Colorado redistricting commissioners deliberated outside public view — after promise of transparency. The Gazette. November 14, 2021.
Georgia: Georgia redistricting brings opportunity for political payback. The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. November 8, 2021.
Idaho: Newly filed lawsuit targets Idaho’s latest redistricting map. Associated Press. November 12, 2021.
Maryland: Dems weigh a GOP shutout in Maryland redistricting. Politico. November 9, 2021.
- Progressives say Nevada redistricting maps split Latino vote. Associated Press. November 14, 2021.
- Minority communities fear redistricting overlook: ‘You can’t ignore us’. The Nevada Independent. November 12, 2021.
Ohio: Emotions high in Ohio fight over new congressional map. Associated Press. November 12, 2021.
- Every Rhode Islander should have a voice in our government, including residents who are incarcerated. Boston Globe. November 8, 2021.
- Battle lines drawn over how Rhode Island's prison population is counted. NBC 10. November 5, 2021.
South Carolina: Questions raised on House maps as SC redistricting nears end. Associated Press. November 14, 2021.
Utah: Utah redistricting maps underscore independent-panel hurdles. Associated Press. November 12, 2021
Virginia: Virginia Supreme Court disqualifies one GOP nominee tapped to redistrict maps. Washington Post. November 12, 2021.
Call for submissions
- Have any information, resources, trainings, or opportunities you want to share in this newsletter? Just fill out this form! Note that content must be submitted by noon ET on Monday in order to be sent out in the Monday newsletter, and that publication of your content in this newsletter is subject to the moderator’s approval.