Coalition Hub for Advancing Redistricting & Grassroots Engagement: Providing grassroots organizers the tools and information they need to engage in the redistricting process and fight for fair representation for marginalized communities.
Resources and Announcements
In a victory for voting rights, South Carolina has passed maps adjusting South Carolina state House district lines in some of the most historically significant areas of the state for Black voters by passing new maps this session in response to a lawsuit. Learn more in this NAACP LDF press release.
Alabama Values has two exciting announcements:
- Alabama Values is working on the production of a mini-documentary that will unpack the 2021 redistricting process and the issues created in several Alabama communities due to the packing and cracking of minority communities. The People’s Voice: Redistricting Through A Community’s Lens will amplify the voices of underrepresented communities impacted by Alabama’s history of unfair mapping practices and highlight the state coalitions working to fight for fair mapping and fair districting. We are seeking additional Alabamians to interview for this project. Redistricting is connected to core community issues. i.e. Education, Healthcare, Voting Rights, Criminal Justice Reform. If you have specific issues in your community that you want to highlight, click here. This project is made possible by funding from SOLVE (Southern Leadership for Voter Engagement). Click here to view our trailers.
- Join the Power on the Line Movement: A Decentralized Pro-Democracy Social Movement for fair maps and equitable representation. In October, SCOTUS will hear arguments in Milligan v. Merrill, which alleges the state engaged in racial gerrymandering and violated the Voting Rights Act when drawing Alabama’s congressional districts. Between now and May 2023, through the Power On The Line movement, we have a unique opportunity to broaden concepts of civic engagement by creatively highlighting the plaintiffs’ narratives, as well as a series of digital campaigns and public events ranging from arts & culture to music and festivals. We will host two events in Washington, D.C. between October 2022 and April 2023. Visit the Power on the Line website and join our e-list to stay informed about this effort and upcoming event. Check out our video here.
California Common Cause is proud to announce the release of the second episode of Democracy Is, our new podcast! This show ends our two-episode arc on redistricting, with the second episode focusing on what happened in local communities throughout California this last redistricting cycle.
- National: The Supreme Court has chipped away at the Voting Rights Act for 9 years. This case could be the next blow. Politico. June 27, 2022.
- Kansas: Top court: Kansas Constitution allows partisan redistricting. Washington Post. June 21, 2022.
- Louisiana: Louisiana officials ask U.S. Supreme Court to intervene in redistricting case. The Ouachita Citizen. June 27, 2022.
- Michigan: A look at Michigan’s newly drawn congressional districts for 2022 elections. WDIV Local 4. June 26, 2022.
- North Carolina: Redistricting plaintiffs urge N.C. Supreme Court to hear new arguments as early as September. The Carolina Journal. June 27, 2022.
- Ohio: Ohio Supreme Court says 6 candidates can appear on August primary ballot. Plain Dealer. June 24, 2022.