Trainings and Events
- Please join Fair Count, State Voices, and League of Women Voters on September 15, 2021 at at 3-4:30p ET / 2-3:30p CT / 1 -2:30p MT / 12 -1:30p PT for a discussion about the policy and social consequences of unfair maps featuring the authors of Gerrymandering the States: Partisanship, Race, and the Transformation of American Federalism. Register here.
- Redistricting Community College in Spanish: Join us on September 15 at 7:00 pm ET for the new condensed version of the Redistricting Community College presented entirely in Spanish. Register here. Translated: Este 15 de Septiembre a las 7:00 PM hora del este, CHARGE va a tener un seminario web es una versión condensada de Redistricting Community College, pero se presenta completamente en español. En este seminario, cubriremos una introducción a la redistribución de distritos, el mapeo comunitario y el activismo comunitario. Registrar aquí.
Ohio Voted to End Gerrymandering -- Let’s Get To Work! Join Fair Districts Ohio has hosted a series of Regional Forums designed to inform about Redistricting in Ohio in 2021. Join us next week for the last of these events: 9/21 Cincinnati and Dayton Areas (Southwest Ohio), Tuesday, 7pm ET, Jesse Balmert, Cincinnati Enquirer to moderate.
The Colorado Independent Redistricting Commissions will release new draft maps based on 2020 Census data plus months of public testimony and comments. The Commissions will also hold special public hearings on these new maps. We must be prepared to advocate for our communities no matter what the new maps look like. The Legislative Commission will release new state House and Senate maps today (September 13). Colorado Common Cause will host special redistricting prep sessions. During these sessions we will examine the Commissions' new maps, examine what they mean for your community, and prepare you to testify or submit written comment. Join a training:
Texans deserve a fair, transparent, and community-centered representation, so join a TX4All Redistricting 101 training on September 15 at 6:30 pm CT presented by Miguel Rivera, Voting Rights Outreach Coordinator with the Texas Civil Rights Project. We’ll hear from an amazing guest speaker and learn more about the redistricting process underway now, how to prepare for upcoming virtual hearings, and effective ways to draft public testimony. It’s time to engage in the 2021 map redistricting process. It's time to reclaim our community power! Learn more here.
The Rhode Island General Assembly is getting ready to draw our voting maps and now is the time to make our voices heard. Join Common Cause Rhode Island for a redistricting community activist training on September 19 at 7:00 pm ET. Register here.
Looking for a more creative way to spread awareness about fair maps? Submit a piece of visual art today! Common Cause is uplifting youth voices in democracy through “My Voice, My Art, Our Cause” an artivism contest centering young creatives. Artivism bridges the creative power of art with the strategic design of activism to bring forth social transformation. The contest is open to young artivists ages 14-28 and submissions will be accepted through September 30, 2021. Contest winners will receive up to $1,500 in cash prizes and customized swag items featuring their artwork. Visit www.commoncause.org/artivism for the contest rules and submission form!
Resources and Announcements
- California Common Cause, other redistricting reform proponents, and civil rights and grassroots organizations from across California filed an amicus letter in the California Supreme Court in support of the California Citizens Redistricting Commission's emergency motion asking the Court to extend its deadline to January 14, 2022. The goal is to prevent their deadline from falling during the December holidays. Read the amicus letter here and the press release here.
- NEW! Common Cause has a new webpage dedicated to ending prison gerrymandering. There, you will find webinars, testimonials, and other helpful resources to end prison gerrymandering in your state. Check out this new resource.
- State Voices has created a toolkit detailing how organizers can use their states’ open meetings and records laws to further their redistricting advocacy. This can be especially useful in states that don't have specific redistricting transparency laws. Check out the toolkit here. (Note that the toolkit currently only includes details about the laws of states within the State Voices network - please email Lata Nott at email@example.com if you would like information about your state’s laws to be added.)
- The Maryland Citizens Redistricting Commission released draft maps for illustrative and instructional purposes during its September 9 meeting. See the maps here.
Alabama: Public Hearings Held on Redistricting. The Bibb Voice. September 12, 2021.
- Redistricting board draws 2 proposals for Alaska's new legislative boundaries. Anchorage Daily News. September 10, 2021.
- Southeast retains legislative seats under draft redistricting plan. CoastAlaska. September 10, 2021.
- Garfield County commissioners oppose latest congressional redistricting proposal. Post Independent. September 12, 2021.
- Redistricting commission far from consensus on Colorado congressional map. Colorado Newsline. September 10, 2021.
- Colorado redistricting map “would shake up congressional politics” but not incumbents. Daily Record. September 10, 2021.
- Redistricting Committee Seeks Public Input. NBC Connecticut. September 9, 2021.
- Editorial: Do Not Let Redistricting Rob Newtown Of Its ‘Power Of Four’. The Newtown Bee. September 9, 2021.
Florida: Redistricting committee approves meeting schedule, split of census blocks. The Daily News. September 13, 2021.
Hawaii: Our Democracy Starts With Redistricting. Honolulu Civil Beat. September 13, 2021.
Idaho: Idaho Redistricting Commission Finalizing First Proposed Maps. Idaho Capital Sun. September 13, 2021.
Maine: Facing tight deadline, Maine redistricting panel will release proposed maps next week. Bangor Daily News. September 11, 2021.
New Mexico: Native Americans draft redistricting proposals in New Mexico. Associated Press. September 10, 2021.
New York: NY redistricting: Draft maps to be released next week. September 11, 2021.
- Redistricting Coalition pans GOP map, hopes for better result by deadline. Ohio Capital Journal. September 12, 2021.
- 'Almost the definition of gerrymandering': GOP redistricting plan has more Republican-leaning seats. Cincinnati Enquirer. September 10, 2021.
- 'An insult to democracy': Ohio Republicans' redistricting plan panned soon after release. The Columbus Dispatch. September 9, 2021.
- Brown calls special session for Oregon redistricting. KOIN. September 11, 2021.
- Public weighs in on redistricting — will it matter? The Blue Mountain Eagle. September 8, 2021.
- Groups call for 'fair and transparent' redistricting process in R.I. Boston Globe. September 8, 2021.
- Coalition presses for transparency in state redistricting. Stamford Advocate. September 8, 2021.
- Coalition calls for robust public participation in RI redistricting process. The Public’s Radio. September 8, 2021.
- Dashboard created to assist Tennessee counties with redistricting. WATE. September 13, 2021.
- Congressman pushes to keep Davidson County whole in redistricting. Tennessee Lookout. September 8, 2021.
Utah: Provo Mayor encourages Utahns to weigh-in on redistricting. KUTV. September 10, 2021.
Virginia: Incumbent protection takes center stage at Virginia redistricting commission. Richmond Times-Dispatch. September 11, 2021.
West Virginia: Lawmakers nearing end of redistricting hearings. Metro News. September 10, 2021.
Wisconsin: Wisconsin Gov. Tony Evers seeks to intervene in federal redistricting case. The Capital Times. September 13, 2021.