Coalition Hub for Advancing Redistricting & Grassroots Engagement: Providing grassroots organizers the tools and information they need to engage in the redistricting process and fight for fair representation for marginalized communities.
Trainings and Events
Join Fair Districts Ohio for two upcoming events about the winners of our congressional redistricting contest.
- Fair Districts Congressional Map Winners: Our Maps & Choices, Weds, 10/13, Noon ET
- Fair Districts Congressional Map Winners: Updates Based on Public Input, Weds, 10/20, Noon ET. View the 1st place map: bit.ly/OhioMapO; 2nd place map: bit.ly/OhioMapA; 3rd place map: bit.ly/OhioMapH
Hosted by CHARGE partners, our youth redistricting panel offers students in high school and college the opportunity to hear from their peers on the importance of redistricting and how they can get involved! If you are interested in learning how you can be an advocate for your community, this is the panel for you! Join us on October 13 at 8:00 pm ET. RSVP here.
Resources and Announcements
- The Campus Boundaries Project is an open source tool for identifying college student communities that have been stacked, packed, or cracked. The tool, created by Tufts University’s Institute for Democracy & Higher Education allows users to see on a map where U.S. Congressional and state districts exist relative to college student communities of interest, where significant numbers of college and university students reside. Because of the nation’s history of purposeful disenfranchisement of voters of color, it also enables users to examine the demographic composition of communities of student interest.
- Redistricting revs up. Axios. October 3, 2021.
- Early redistricting plans show GOP retrenching for long haul. The Hill. October 3, 2021.
- As redistricting gets under way, Democrats' prospects looking brighter. Reuters. October 2, 2021.
Indiana: Republicans brush off critics, approve Indiana redistricting. Associated Press. October 1, 2021.
Oregon: Special session drama could hamper OR Democrats’ 2022 agenda. Associated Press. October 1, 2021.
- Expert: Michigan redistricting panel can make maps fairer. Associated Press. October 1, 2021.
- Advocates push for inmates to be counted at their home addresses as redistricting ensues. Detroit Free Press. October 2, 2021.
South Carolina: SC House wraps up redistricting hearings; maps up next. October 2, 2021.
Texas: How Texas Plans to Make Its House Districts Even Redder. New York Times. October 3, 2021.
Virginia: Redistricting Commission Fails to Agree on Consensus Map Ahead of Public Comment Period. WVTF. October 3, 2021.
Call for submissions
Have any information, resources, trainings, or opportunities you want to share in this newsletter? Just fill out this form! Note that content must be submitted by noon ET on Monday in order to be sent out in the Monday newsletter, and that publication of your content in this newsletter is subject to the moderator’s approval.