Coalition Hub for Advancing Redistricting & Grassroots Engagement: Providing grassroots organizers the tools and information they need to engage in the redistricting process and fight for fair representation for marginalized communities.
Trainings and Events
Join tonight’s Youth Redistricting Panel at 5:00 pm PT/8:00 pm ET! Hosted by CHARGE partners, this seminar offers students in high school and college the opportunity to hear from their peers on the importance of redistricting and how they can get involved. If you are interested in learning how you can be an advocate for your community, this is the panel for you. Register here.
Join Fair Districts Ohio for two upcoming events about the winners of our congressional redistricting contest.
- Fair Districts Congressional Map Winners: Our Maps & Choices, Weds, 10/13, Noon ET
- Fair Districts Congressional Map Winners: Updates Based on Public Input, Weds, 10/20, Noon ET. View the 1st place map: bit.ly/OhioMapO; 2nd place map: bit.ly/OhioMapA; 3rd place map: bit.ly/OhioMapH
Resources and Announcements
- Colorado Common Cause filed a brief with the Colorado Supreme Court last week in response to a proposed congressional map the Colorado Congressional Redistricting Commission submitted to the court for approval. Read the brief here and see Colorado Common Cause’s alternative map here.
- For more resources, check out CHARGE’s resource hub.
Arkansas: New Arkansas Democratic Party chair says GOP redistricting maps help his cause. KUAR. October 10, 2021.
Michigan: Michigan redistricting commission approves state Senate draft map in surprise vote. Michigan Live. October 9, 2021.
Nebraska: Speaking of Nebraska: State Senators Defend Redistricting Process. Nebraska Public Media. October 7, 2021.
New York: Voters can make redistricting work better, advocates say. Riverdale Press. October 11, 2021.
Ohio: Redistricting court challenges move forward. Ohio Capital Journal. October 11, 2021.
- Proponents push ‘everyday’ Oregonians as a better redistricting approach. OPB. October 8, 2021.
- Republicans sue to block Democrats’ ‘obvious, extreme, partisan gerrymander’ of Oregon congressional districts. The Oregonian. October 12, 2021.
Virginia: Issues that Derailed State Redistricting Remain as Commission Looks to Congress. WVTF. October 10, 2021.
Call for submissions
- Have any information, resources, trainings, or opportunities you want to share in this newsletter? Just fill out this form! Note that content must be submitted by noon ET on Monday in order to be sent out in the Monday newsletter, and that publication of your content in this newsletter is subject to the moderator’s approval.