Coalition Hub for Advancing Redistricting & Grassroots Engagement: Providing grassroots organizers the tools and information they need to engage in the redistricting process and fight for fair representation for marginalized communities.
Resources and Announcements
- The Redistricting Data Hub has created a Racially Polarized Voting (RPV) Analysis Database. This database identifies all 140 federal court cases that involved RPV analyses since the last cycle (2011). The database is searchable, and contains useful information around the Gingles criteria, the data used by expert witnesses, and RPV methodologies. Important rulings and findings have also been grouped by Circuit Court, so that interested parties can quickly learn more about how the courts have handled Section 2 litigation in their state.
- Snapshot: Redistricting in the Media Across the United States illustrates the latest trends in media coverage of redistricting. Focus has shifted from the process of mapmaking to the consequences of the newly drawn districts. Partisan gerrymandering remains a focus of the conversation, particularly in terms of “wins” and “losses” for both the Democratic party and the Republican party ahead of the 2022 midterms. Furthermore, much attention has been concentrated on lawsuits that empower state courts and judges to take over the map drawing process.
- National: What the Supreme Court's decision on Alabama's maps could mean for the Voting Rights Act. CNN. February 12, 2022.
- Alabama: Mobile Council president backs away from support of mayor’s redistricting plan. AL.Com. February 12, 2022.
- Florida: DeSantis digs in on redistricting fight against fellow Republicans. NBC. February 14, 2022.
- Georgia: ‘Out of order’: Georgia local redistricting fights intensify. Associated Press. February 12, 2022.
- Kentucky: Judge hears arguments in Kentucky redistricting case. WDRB.com. February 12, 2022.
- Louisiana: Will Louisiana redistricting be impacted by Supreme Court ruling on Alabama? Greater Baton Rouge Business Report. February 14, 2022.
- Maryland: Maryland Court of Appeals to consider Prince George’s Co. council redistricting case. WTOP. February 13, 2022.
- Minnesota: Minnesota courts to release state's new redistricting plans Tuesday. Star Tribune. February 15, 2022.
- Missouri: Missouri Senate looks for ‘magic path’ on redistricting. Associated Press. February 12, 2022.
- New York: How Democrats’ New Maps Could Shape N.Y. Politics for Years to Come. New York Times. February 14, 2022.
- Ohio: Few signs that third time's a charm for state House and Senate maps. The Columbus Dispatch. February 11, 2022.
- South Carolina: Suit: South Carolina GOP chose ‘worst’ map for Black voters. Associated Press. February 11, 2022.
ACE (Action for the Climate Emergency) is hiring full time Field Canvassers as well as looking for contract Canvassers in specific geographies in FL, NC, PA, OH and WI! Apply for the full time Field Canvasser positions here, or fill out this form if interested in becoming a contract Canvasser.
Call for submissions
Have any information, resources, trainings, or opportunities you want to share in this newsletter? Just fill out this form! Note that content must be submitted by noon ET on Monday in order to be sent out in the Monday newsletter, and that publication of your content in this newsletter is subject to the moderator’s approval.