Coalition Hub for Advancing Redistricting & Grassroots Engagement: Providing grassroots organizers the tools and information they need to engage in the redistricting process and fight for fair representation for marginalized communities.
Trainings and Events
Over the next week, the Redistricting Data Hub will host a series of trainings on the use of different programs to analyze communities of interest data.
- Part 1: Preparing to Analyze Community of Interest Maps (Tuesday, December 14, 1-1:30pm EST). The first training of this three-part series will prepare users to analyze whether a proposed or enacted plan considers communities of interest (COIs). We will show you where to find and download COIs and enacted plans and explain the geographies and file types encountered when working with these maps. Register here.
- Part 2: Using DistrictBuilder and DRA 2020 to Analyze a Community of Interest with Respect to Proposed Maps (Thursday, December 16, 1-1:45pm EST). This training will walk you through the process of importing a district plan and community of interest map into DistrictBuilder and DRA 2020. We will provide guidance to prevent common issues or mistakes and review the metrics and analysis capabilities unique to each tool. Register here.
- Part 3: Using QGIS and Python to Analyze One or More Communities of Interest with Respect to Proposed Maps (Monday, December 20, 1-1:45pm EST). This training will walk you through the process of importing a district plan and one or more community of interest maps into QGIS and Python. We are pleased to have John Holden, creator of the QGIS Redistricting Plugin, present the QGIS demonstration and answer your questions. This portion will run for approximately 30 minutes. In the remainder of the training, we will introduce our publicly available script file that makes it easy to analyze multiple COIs and generate heat maps and metrics of interest. Register here.
Resources and Announcements
- California Common Cause and partners have publicly called for independent redistricting in Fresno County, in a letter to the Fresno County Board of Supervisors. The letter highlights shortcomings in the current redistricting process, managed by the Board of Supervisors themselves. Fresno County is one of multiple jurisdictions where community organizations are calling for independent redistricting commissions. Read the press release here.
- National: How both parties are killing competition in the race for the House. CNN. December 10, 2021.
- California: Home is where the redistricting committee says it is. Politico. December 10, 2021.
- Hawaii: Ready for prime time: New County Council maps set for public hearings. West Hawaii Today. December 10, 2021.
- Maryland: Democrats Could Have Gerrymandered Away a GOP Seat. Why Didn’t They? Slate. December 10, 2021.
- Michigan: Michigan's redistricting commission could face legal challenges on several fronts. Detroit Free Press. December 12, 2021.
- New Jersey: Malinowski supporters flood the zone, fearing he’ll be ‘sacrificed’ in redistricting. Politico. December 11, 2021.
- New Mexico: New Mexico Legislature sends redistricting plan to governor. Associated Press. December 11, 2021.
- Rhode Island: Secretary of state launches tool to view redistricting maps. Associated Press. December 11, 2021.
- Texas: Federal lawsuit over redistricting might delay Texas primary election. KXAN. December 12, 2021.
- Virginia: Virginia redistricting proposals leave incumbents vulnerable, candidates scrambling to rethink campaigns. Washington Post. December 9, 2021.
- Wisconsin: US Supreme Court won’t end Wisconsin redistricting lawsuit. Associated Press. December 10, 2021.